VANDALIA — Stealing packages from front porches has become more frequent in recent years as internet shopping has become more popular. Vandalia police have investigated several theft complaints over the past year where thieves have stolen packages after they were delivered and left unattended at a house or business.
What can you do to prevent becoming a victim to these thieves? Here are some helpful tips to avoid these thefts:
- Customize delivery times for arrival when you know you are going to be home.
- Have packages delivered to a trusted family member or friend’s address instead of your own.
- Consider your workplace for package delivery.
- Ask the delivery company to hold your packages for pick up at its facility.
- Tell a neighbor you trust about an expected delivery and ask them to watch for it.
- Have your items delivered to a local Amazon locker and pick your items up from there. Most lockers have 24 hour pick up, but each locations’ hours may vary.
Holly Estepp is the Crime Prevention Officer with the Vandalia Division of Police. She can be reached at (937) 415-2272 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.