VANDALIA — The Vandalia-Butler Board of Education voted 3-0 on Tuesday to place a renewal levy on the November ballot.
The levy, first passed in November, 2013, was a 6.99 mil levy for a five-year term. The levy being placed on the levy is a continuation of the current levy and will not increase taxes while generating $3.9 million each year.
The district is asking that the levy be made permanent, however. Treasurer Eric Beavers said the district’s Financial Advisory Committee, made up of community members, recommended a change to a permanent levy.
“Not having this $3.9 million would dismantle all the work we have done the past three years,” said Beavers.
Board members George Moorman and Mary Kilsheimer were not present at the meeting which occurred at the Vandalia Recreation Center.
The Board also approved a measure to terminate the current contract of Beavers and replace it with a new, five-year contract.
Beavers’ previous contract was not set to expire until 2019, but had no salary increases contemplated for the entire five-year term.
Under the terms of the deal, Beavers’ will be paid $128,760 per year which represents a 3.5% increase over his previous salary. The previous contract, which began in 2016, did not have any annual increases built in.
However, the current contract has automatic increases of 3.5% built in for the next two years. Salary amounts for the final two years of the contract will be determined at a later date.
In addition, the district will contribute $7,125 to a tax-sheltered annuity on behalf of Beavers in 2017. That amount increases to $10,125 in 2018 and $10,750 in 2019.
The Board also increased salaries of administrative staff in an amount similar to the average teacher increase in its latest contract, or 2.5%.
“All of administrators are at or exceeding performance,” said Superintendent Bradley Neavin. “We have been researching this the last couple of years and this keeps up competitive in the market. Many of these folks have not gotten raises in several years.”
Neavin said bonuses are no longer written into administrator contracts.
“This is in line with what teachers were receiving on average – frankly there are some teachers who will get more due to step increases. This also keeps us in line with the strategic plan where the community told us to be fiscally responsible yet keep employees competitive.”
He noted that the increases were a base salary increase of $56,000 out of $30 million budget. That figure does not include retirement contributions made by the district.
The Board also approved its Fiscal Year 2018 Initial Appropriations in the amount of $41.857 million. That figure includes $34.5 million in the general fund, $3.25 million in payments on bond debt.
In other action, the Board:
- Approved a re-negotiated contract for the district’s copier machines with ComDoc, Inc. that will save at least $14,340 per year and have updated copiers throughout the district.
- Approved a contract with Virtual Community School for the 2017-18 school year with no increase in cost. This program is used by Aviator Connections at Butler High School.
- Approved a roofing bid from Maxim Roofing for roof projects at Helke Elementary and Butler High School.
- Approved an out-of-state trip for Butler business students to New York City November 19-21. The trip will not utilize tax or district dollars.
- Approved preschool tuition in fees. Tuition is set at $130/month, transportation fee, if applicable, is $25 per month, and a material fee of $45.
- Approved BASE fees for before and after school care for the upcoming school year. There were no increase in fees.
- Approved a new contract for Assistant Treasurer Leigh Anne Snow through July, 2020.
Vandalia-Butler City Schools
BASE Fees 2016-17 school year
Registration fee – $20 per family (yearly registration required)
$65 – Full time before AND after school
$42.50 – before school only
$42.50 – after school only
Each additional child:
$40 – before AND after school
$27.50 before OR after school
Emergency/Random Drop in Fees:
$15/visit before OR after school
$22.50/visit before AND after school
Each additional child:
$15/visit before AND after school
$10/visit before OR after school
The Vandalia-Butler Board of Education will hold its next regularly scheduled meeting on Monday, July 10 at 6 p.m. The work session will be held in the large conference room of the Board office.