VANDALIA — Members of the Vandalia-Butler Chamber of Commerce held its inaugural Honor Awards Banquet on Tuesday night and honored local businesses, non-profit organizations, and professionals. The evening was capped off by awarding the 32nd Annual Marvin Link Distinguished Service Award to Joe Dranschak of the Historical Society of Vandalia-Butler.
The Distinguished Service Award (DSA) was named after Link this year after he passed away in 2016.
Dranschak was presented the award by Vandalia Mayor Arlene Setzer and Butler Township Trustee Mike Lang.
Setzer wrote one of several letters nominating Dranschak for the award.
“His personal passin for keeping the (Historical) Society a living amenity for our community has been an unselfish giving of his time and talents,” Setzer wrote. “Therefore, it is my honor to nominate Joe as a candidate for the “Distinguished Service Award” for this year.
Setzer also declared Wednesday, March 1 to be Joe Dranschak Day in a proclamation while Lang read a proclamation declaring it to be Joe Dranschak Week in Butler Township.
Prior to Dranschak’s award, the Chamber of Commerce distributed its awards.
Aullwood Audubon Center was named the Non-Profit of the Year and Don Schweitzer of DayAir Credit Union was named the Ambassador of the Year.
Morton and Whetstone Funeral Home received the Small Business of the Year Award and R.B. Jergens Contractors was named the Business of the Year.
Vandalia-Butler City Schools Superintendent Brad Neavin was named the Professional of the Year.
Nominees for each award were:
Distinguished Service Award
- Steve & Paula Reed – Optimist Club
- Dr. Wayne Wright – Sister Cities/Oktoberfest
- Joe Dranschak – Historical Society
Ambassador of the Year
- Natalie Henningsen – State Farm
- Debbie Chaney – Diversified Computer Solutions (retired)
- Don Schweitzer – Day Air Credit Union
Non-Profit of the Year
- Aullwood-Audubon Center & Farm
- Rotary Club of Vandalia
- Vandalia-Butler Optimist Club
Small Business of the Year
- Hairless Hair Brewery
- Morton & Whetstone Funeral Home
- Warehouse 4 Coffee
Business of the Year
- Abbey Credit Union
- RB Jergens
- Scene 75 Entertainment Center
Professional of the Year
- Brad Neavin – Superintendent, Vandalia-Butler City Schools
- Larry Taylor – Beau Townsend Ford/Nissan
- Steve Staub – Staub Manufacturing
Reach Darrell Wacker at 937-684-8983 or on Twitter @VandaliaDrummer.