DAYTON – The July 4th holiday is typically one of the busiest times for the Montgomery County Animal Resource Center as many pets become frightened by fireworks and, often times, run away.
This year, the ARC is urging dog owners to use Finding Rover, an application which offers facial recognition technology to identify lost pets. Finding Rover is a free service for identifying lost and found dogs in real-time with facial recognition technology accessible through the smartphone app and website.
Every dog that enters the ARC system becomes registered on Finding Rover. Users of Finding Rover can search the shelter right from their smartphone or computer in efforts to find their missing dog, a neighbor’s missing dog, or search for adoptable dogs.
Finding Rover is currently available on iOS, Android, and online at FindingRover.com for FREE.
For more information, contact the Animal Resource Center at (937) 898-4457 or visit www.mcohio.org/animalshelter.
In addition, the ARC is offering these important tips to keep your pet safe this time of year:
– Please resist the urge to take your pets with you to celebrate Independence Day. Public fireworks displays can be frightening to your pets. Let them stay home in a quiet, safe, escape-proof area.
– For pets bothered by loud noises, keep them inside in a quiet room with no windows. Background music playing can help calm them.
– Keep matches & lighter fluid out of pets’ reach. Certain matches contain chlorates which can damage blood cells and result in difficulty breathing.
– Keep picnic foods away from pets as they can cause intestinal problems.
– Make sure your pets always wear collars with current licenses tags and pet identification. Lost and scared pets can’t tell a person where they live unless they have proper ID.
– If your pet is lost or you find a stray, call the Animal Resource Center at 898-4457 and select option #1.
– If your pet is lost over the holiday, it may be at the Animal Resource Center. Visit us in person as soon as possible to find your pet. Licensed dogs impounded Friday – Sunday and reclaimed by close of business July 6 will have impoundment & board fees waived with proof of 2015 license.
Amnesty from license penalty continues through July 12.
July 4th Holiday and Weekend Hours – Montgomery County Animal Resource Center:
– Friday, July 3 10 a.m. – 6 p.m. Accompanied lost pet searches 3 p.m. – 6 p.m.
– Saturday July 4 11 a.m. – 1 p.m. for lost pet searches ONLY.
– Sunday July 5 11 a.m. – 1 p.m. for lost pet searches ONLY.
The ARC is also offering “Red White and Mew” cat adoption specials through July 12: Cats: $10 Kittens: $35.
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU